ST MARY. The church lies elevated above the town, yet not as high as the castle. It formed part of a priory founded by Henry de Ferrers probably in the 1080s and colonized from St Pierre-sur-Dives in Normandy. Of the monastic quarters nothing survives, and the church does not survive in its entirety. It originally had an apse, succeeded by a larger choir and also transepts and a crossing tower. The missing parts were replaced by Street in 1866. He provided a chancel and apse. The chancel opens to the nave by a very wide pointed arch. One should begin however with what is left of nave and aisles. The system of the piers changes, but the style does not change. One would call it early C12. The E piers are round, the w piers are an odd elongated quatrefoil shape. The capitals have scallops, not as large as before 1100 nor as small as in the late C12. The arcades have two big rolls. Twin vaulting shafts rise but are cut off, as the full height is not preserved. The present clerestory was a gallery, as the shafting indicates. The w front ended operations. This is so lavish that it must be as late as c.1160-70. Externally first there is a w doorway of seven orders, the capitals highly fanciful, with beasts and figures, the arch with beakhead and also radiating motifs. The outermost order incidentally represents the earliest use of alabaster in England. In the s tower, whose upper parts are Dec to Perp, are a w window and a s window, both originally simply part of the s aisle. Above the w doorway is a window also with a decorated surround including beakhead and l. and r. intersecting arches with zigzag. In the gable three round windows with zigzag. The s aisle doorway is Norman too, with three orders of colonnettes and again with figured capitals. The lintel shows a boar hunt. The aisle otherwise is Perp. The N aisle is an odd conceit of 1820-2 by Joseph B. H. Bennett: stepped lancet lights under a round arch and with two transoms. Inside, the w doorway and the s doorway have zigzag surrounds, and the w wall has intersecting arches also inside. The s aisle w parts have Norman responds. The tower is supported in the s aisle by a shallow, flying-buttress-like Dec arch. — REREDOS, PULPIT, STALLS, PONT, etc., by Street, 1867-8.* - PLATE. Chalice, 1706 by John Downes of London. — MONUMENT. George Robinson†1837. By Joseph Hall of Derby. Standing Grecian figure by a broken column.