Tutbury Priory Church - dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Home News The Church Churchyard Ceremonies Church Groups Pictures About Us History CoPAA Past Events Can't find it?

Powered by  Webplus X8, designed by Andricks Design Services,  Copyright © 2012 - 2017  - Rick Nuth and Tutbury St. Mary’s PCC

Creative Commons Licence
St. Mary's Priory Church, Tutbury, Staffordshire website by Rick Nuth and Tutbury St. Mary's PCC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Up Tutbury Local History Church Book Pevsner- Ganz Pre 1920 Photo Lady Chapel Priory Suite

Acknowledgement

Although the text below is entitled Short Notes from a Church Publication, the text and pictures have actually been copied, with permission, from the excellent website Tutbury - Local History & Information (www.tutburyhistory.co.uk). The website was researched, written and created by the late Andy Lee, and is now maintained by his wife Carolyn Lee and daughter Helen Parson.

Church Publication

Short Notes from a Church publication:

History

The Church was founded as a Benedictine Priory by Henry de Ferrers. It was in memory of King William the Conqueror and his wife Queen Matilda of Flanders - in memory also of his own parents, and in thanksgiving for his own family.

"in honour of holy Mary, the Mother of God ... and for the soul of King William and Queen Mathilda, and for the health of my father and mother, and my wife Berta, and my sons, Engenulph, William and Robert, and my daughters and all my ancestors and friends."

The monks who lived in this religious house came from the Benedictine monastery of St Pierre-sur-Dives in Normandy, and because they remained under the jurisdiction of the Abbot of St Pierre the establishment was more correctly called a Priory.

From the start, the Church was shared by the Parish, who occupied the western six bays of the nave, in common with many similar foundations elsewhere.

When John of Gaunt married the only child of the first Duke of Lancaster he made Tutbury Castle his home, and Henry lV spent his childhood there. Much of the district now forms part of the Sovereign's Duchy of Lancaster.

At the Dissolution a curtailed portion of the Parish Nave was retained for Parochial use involving the Central and Southern Aisles of the original with the top layer, or Clerestory removed for easier maintenance. The lowered roof covered a plaster ceiling that remained until 1866.

The Interior Architecture

The fragment we have, about a third of the original is very tantalizing. The Nave is early 12th century, c.1100 would seem likely.

The West Wall is a ' tour de force‘. It is so elaborate that it may be as late as 1150.

The western three pillars have a unique 4-lobed plan. It looks as if this shape arose from subsidence as the three western bays on the North side are out of true and the additional size of the pillars were a Norman reinforcement. It evidently worked as the arches and above are quite true.

In the original structure the windows over the arches in the nave were unglazed openings behind which a triforium or gallery ran all round the church and apse. The remains of this can be seen over the west door, and the entrance to the north side is still visible at the top of the turret steps. Above the triforium was a third row of arches containing the clerestory windows.

The south aisle was partly destroyed in a rebellion of Robert de Ferrieres in 1266. From the south door westwards is original Norman work, and a fragment of stone vaulting can be seen in the roof above the font.

The eastern section of the aisle, which now serves as a side chapel, was rebuilt about 1307 by Edmund Earl of Leicester. Interesting to notice is the width of the old Norman wall on which the 14th century wall stands, and the development of the Gothic arch in the windows. Several Norman masons' marks can be seen on the pillars.

The south aisle is half Norman and half an incomplete recating in the last quarter of the 14th century. The window tracery is all renewed except for some reused medieval window heads in the lower half of the East Window.

At the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry Vlll, only the existing nave was left standing as that had always served as the parish church for the people of Tutbury. Those parts of the church which were first built and were used by the monks - the choir, presbytery and the high altar - all disappeared, together with the monastic buildings. Part of these foundations have been located. A wall was built where the chancel steps now stand, and the arches on the north aisle were bricked in.

The upper windows in the Nave built in the 16th century, into the former Triforium contains battered but contemporary leaded lights in the western bays.

The north aisle was built in 1829 on the foundations of the old north wall and is of poor quality. It was rebuilt to find accomodatlon for Tutbury’s increased population. At the same time, the floor of the church was raised 2-3 feet when hot water pipes were put into heat the building.

The fine barrel roof now seen was erected in 1867-8 in the course of major restoration work, which included the building of the present sanctuary, the removal of galleries from the nave, and the cleaning of the walls and pillars.

The floor was re-laid to its original level in 1937, and the beautiful proportions of the pillars again revealed. This has, however, spoilt the proportions of the apse as designed by Street in 1867, giving it additional height, and making the piscina and sedilia unusable.

The Bells

There is a ring of eight bells, the tenor weighing a little over 10 cwts. Four of the bells bear the date 1699.

The Head of Christ

Set in the pillar behind the pulpit, this is thought to be 13th century work and may have been part of the stone reredos behind the high altar in the monastic church.

The Alabaster Coffin

Situated in the North Aisle, the medieval coffin was discovered when a grave was being dug on Ash Wednesday, 1972. The alabaster is out-crop stone from the area of Castle Hayes within the parish and there is no other record of a similar coffin in alabaster.

It was the grave of a woman, aged 36-40 years. Such expense and labour indicate a lady of considerable importance, and possibly a benefactress of the Priory Church. Tests showed that she suffered from arthritis, but the condition of the teeth indicated that she had not eaten 'thorough food of that age, but had fared delicately'.

When the next grave was dug in 1972, the sandstone coffin of a man was found beside this one.

Monuments

Only one of real interest , to Vicar Anthony Orridge, 1655. Evidently he was a Puritan! It is in the West wall to the left of the door.

The Fittings

The High Altar, Reredos, Pulpit Choir Stalls and Fonts are all by Street and were made locally by the firm of Critchlow & Ward of Uttoxeter. It is fun to think that Street awarded the firm a first class certificate for the work in Tutbury.

The Stained Glass is all by Durlison & Grylls of London. The West Window, 1890 is the first, and the Chancel East Windows are the most recent 1939.

The Chapel Alter-piece

This was designed by Cecil Hare in 1919 and he was a pupil and partner of the great G.P.Bodley who did much work locally, and designed the West Window stonework here. It was made from a single piece of local alabaster.

This part of the south aisle was furnished as a side chapel in memory of the Fallen in the 1914-18 war.

The Glastonbury Chairs

There are 39 of them, all different forming part of the Memorial Chapel.

The Lecturn

A beautiful piece of modern workmanship, carved from a 6,000 year old log of black bog-oak. It was found in the river Dove a few years ago by a resident while searching for the body of his son. The Lectern was given to the church by the parents in memory of their child.

The Parish Chest

At the west end of the nave there is a 16th century oak chest originally provided to keep the registers and documents of the church. There were three locks, and the keys were severally held by the vicar and the two churchwardens.

Records

The oldest register contains entries of baptisms, marriages and burials dating from 1668. One interesting extract reads "1678. David Buxton killed … September 27, was the first buried in wollen (a woollen shroud) by virtue of an act of parlement to that end set forth commencing date from the first of August last past" This was an act to stimulate the English cloth trade in the time of Charles II.

The Plate

The church possesses only one piece of antiquarian interest, a large chalice of the time of Queen Anne c 1706. It bears a coat of arms and a latin inscription. Its interest lies in the rare hallmark, "a lion's head erased and the figure of a woman commonly called Brittania." An act of William III in 1697 required this mark to be stamped on all silver plate, which from that date was to be of purer standard than the coin of the realm.

The High Altar Frontal

The blue frontal, which may be in use at times when the liturgical colour is usually green, is made from tapestry used in Westminster Abbey at the Coronation of King George Vl and Queen Elizabeth.

The Exterior Architecture

The Patron of the Benefice is Her Majesty the Queen in her right of the Duchy of Lancaster, and the royal arms hang over the west door.

The West Front is the glory of Tutbury Church, and one of the richest Norman fronts in England. The great door, 14 feet high and 9 feet 6 inches wide, is set in a series of six receding arches and a square label.

Some stylised restoration was carried out on the lower shafts at the turn of the century, but the arches are original. Birds, beasts, imps, flowers, chevron, palmette, here is a wonderful array of imaginative decoration, executed with skill and ingenuity.

The feature of unique interest is the second arch from the door. This is of alabaster, the local stone which is still mined in the district. This is the earliest example of English alabaster carving (c. 1160) and the only instance of its use in an exterior arch in the country. It is in a remarkable state of preservation.

Note the blackened beakheads which are of alabaster and unique in such a place. The ‘streaky bacon’ effect of the alabaster can be seen by studying its underside.

To the left, and upwards, of the Norman window, on the right of the West Door it will be noticed that three stones have been damaged. This seems to have been caused by a cannon-ball fired at the castle. The church only just missed total destruction during the last war when a bomb fell where the tool-shed now stands in the south-west corner of the churchyard.

The Tower is a makeshift necessary after the destruction of the Central Tower. The exact date of the erection of the existing tower is not known, but a reference to it in a 17th century register indicates the time of Elizabeth l. It is known that she was interested in the restoration of the church, and gave part of the rent of her Tutbury estate for that purpose. On four occasions she had Mary Queen of Scots imprisoned in Tutbury Castle. Note the domestic pinnacles.

The South Door

The lintel above this door is thought to be Saxon in origin. It depicts a boar hunt and is surrounded by a Norman arch.

The remainder of the church was abandoned, and was doubtless used as a stone quarry, so that there are no remains of the Monks' Choir or of their domestic buildings. Quite how savagely the 16th century used the building can be seen in the very botched east end of the South Aisle, now a Memorial Chapel.

The Victorian period saw C.E.Street engaged to restore the Nave in 1866 - 68, and from that date comes the Nave Roof, and the pews cut down from the former deal Galleries. The Chancel and Apse were given by the Contemporary, Sir Oswald Mosley of Rolleston, who at the same date of 1868 ceded ground to the Church for additional burial.

Since the Victorians, the building has been carefully tended and beautified, the most important work being the lowering of the Nave floor to reveal the original bases of the piers which had been long concealed.